Central Coast Craft Brewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Future Activities

3 posters

Go down

Future Activities Empty Future Activities

Post  Gingerpete Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:02 am

Hey guys, sorry I missed the last meetup, I was looking forward to it then got super drunk the night before and I couldn't even consider the thought of talking about beer, let alone drinking it.
What did I miss? Who one the pale ale comp?

Was there any talk of future activites for the club? Maybe another Case Swap or Christmas party?
I was going to suggest we do a Pub crawl of Newcastle. With two specalised beer pubs, plus every other pub getting involved in craft beer too, I thought we could organise a trip up. All the pubs are accessable by train, so no one would need to Drive. The Albion and the Grainstore would be two must sees, and the rest could be negotiable.

What do you think?

Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Future Activities Empty Re: Future Activities

Post  jazzyj Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:01 pm

That is a good idea. Keep in mind that bitter and twisted is on in a few weeks up there, and Newcastle beer week is in Feb.
But I would be keen on a Newcastle trip soon.

As for the comp we had 4 entries. No winner was declared, but we had 4 distinctly different beds and all good in their own way.
jazzyj
jazzyj

Back to top Go down

Post  kt Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:05 am

Pub crawl sounds cool.

Maybe a backstage-pass visit to Hunter Brewery in Cessnock or Murray's somewhere near Port Stephens ?

I was thinking a brewing demonstration at a local market might be fun, especially if we had samples from the previous demonstration.  I had in mind Morisset markets, which starts early and is basically over by lunchtime... but it doesn't really matter which.

Oh and at the meeting I posed questions about my kegs not getting carbonated properly.   The consensus was that I must have a leak.  That was completely wrong - I had 3 (manifold valve thread, keg-post bottom and gas-keg-post connector thing).  All were fixed with a bit of tightening.

Last edited by kt on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
kt
kt

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzyj Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:24 am

The Hunter Brewery is a good option,
I have dealt with Keith up there a few times an he is always really accomodating to things like this.

Considering they run a few brewery tours every day, it would not be hard to get into one, get shown the process, then settle down for beers and lunch.
They let you get reasonably hands on, for the tours. They even do brewer for a day packages, where they will let you help out... but I don't know much about that.

Murrays do tours also, but are not as flexible. Both locations are hard to get to without a designated driver, but that is a different problem for a different day.

The market idea, could be more troublesome than we think. Demonstrations involving boiling liquid and the public, have lawsuit written all over them, and there would be licencing issue in realation to giving away beer at the event, even if legal.
jazzyj
jazzyj

Back to top Go down

Post  kt Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:14 am

jazzyj wrote:[...] They even do brewer for a day packages, where they will let you help out...
I fricken' begged them for information on this, they never responded.  Maybe I should have telephoned.

jazzyj wrote:The market idea, could be more troublesome than we think.  Demonstrations involving boiling liquid and the public, have lawsuit written all over them, and there would be licensing issue in relation to giving away beer at the event, even if legal.
Hmmm, I did not consider that there could be a licensing problem.  Do you even need a licence to give away beer?  Probably.
The .nsw.gov FAQ on it is here: http://www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/L_FS_LLMF.pdf it only discusses liquor sales.  Interestingly you can get a non-profit-entity only-once-a-year event licence for $40 over the internet.  I wonder if we could do a 1-off fund-raising event which would earn enough to pay for us all to do a brewing-research-tour of Belgium Shocked
kt
kt

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzyj Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:48 am

jazzyj
jazzyj

Back to top Go down

Post  kt Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:18 am

Yeah, I contacted them after reading that through the "About Us".
I didn't get a response.  Maybe I sounded too desperate Wink

I'm on their mailing list too ... it's not high volume, about 1 message per year, so far.

I do wish they'd at least email updates on what they're putting on tap at least. I wouldn't want to miss out on another batch of "Smoking French Tart" (an awesome saison with a good smoked malt character) ... last time I was there I asked about it and they rolled their eyes before delivering an emphatic "no".
kt
kt

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzyj Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:20 am

They seem to be reasonably active on facebook, that is where I get my updates for HBC from.
You will be interested to know that they have 10 seasonals on at the moment that they will be releasing one a week until christmas I suppose.

First one is called two smoking goats, smoked doppelbock

So is anyone likely to be going to bitter and twisted this year?
jazzyj
jazzyj

Back to top Go down

Post  kt Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:10 am

jazzyj wrote:They seem to be reasonably active on facebook, that is where I get my updates for HBC from.
You will be interested to know that they have 10 seasonals on at the moment that they will be releasing one a week until christmas I suppose.
Ooh thanks for that. Now I just need half a day free on a weekend. They're getting scarce this close to xmas.

Friends don't let friends do FB.
kt
kt

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:13 am

Do we want to do a trip to Potters instead? Make the Christmas party meetup there. I could organise a small bus to get us up there and back
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kt Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:21 am

jazzyj wrote:So is anyone likely to be going to bitter and twisted this year?
http://www.bitterandtwisted.com.au/

Geeze, what's with the huge music line-up scratch  As if all that awesome beer isn't enough!

Did you go last year?  Was it any good?
We did plan to go, but it was dropped in a nightmare of scheduling conflicts.

Anyone do the Bavarian Beer Breakfast?  $55 is a bit pricey, but I guess $25 of that is entry fee.
Bavarian breakfast (in my limited experience) should be cold meats, cheese, bread and coffee.
I guess liverwurst on rye bread isn't as appetising as sausage & beer.

Last edited by kt on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
kt
kt

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:26 am

I went a few years ago was disappointed. But my expectations were off - I expected a big beer event, but its more of a day out with music and drinking. The beers were a little disappointing. My yearly beer event is the Newcastle craft beer week, which this year has been postponed to Feb 2014. The Warners beer festival on Sunday shouldn't be missed.
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kt Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 am

Gingerpete wrote:I went a few years ago was disappointed. But my expectations were off - I expected a big beer event, but its more of a day out with music and drinking. The beers were a little disappointing. My yearly beer event is the Newcastle craft beer week, which this year has been postponed to Feb 2014. The Warners beer festival on Sunday shouldn't be missed.
http://www.warnersatthebay.com.au/bottleshop/warners-at-the-bay-7th-annual-beer-festival/

Tickets on sale first week of December.

I saw that date of October 2nd 2013 and thought I'd missed it, again.
kt
kt

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzyj Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:25 am

bitter and twisted is a good day out, and although they get a good number of breweries out there, the stuff is not exactly hard to find, or eclectic. But it is still a nice festival. I hope to be going, espeically as my calendar is too full to take advantage of sydney craft beer week

as for the meetup, for similicity, low cost of entry, etc I think a train ride to Newy to hit the Albion, and the Grain store is a must.

can we find a free weekend in December..... not sure.
My december is full enough that I really only have the 21st/22nd free
jazzyj
jazzyj

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:31 am

That late in December might be pushing it.
What about 23rd or 24th of November?
Yeah, Albo and Grainstore for sure
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzyj Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 am

Pete,

Technically I am free that weekend, but I was not intending on doing much beer stuff in November after B&T, as I have a pretty massive sporting event I am training for on the first weekend in Dec.

A pubcrawl 7 days beforehand, would not be wise for me.

Maybe Jan?? or maybe if your organise something, I might have to pass on it.

As for a club meeting, I am thinking that we might have to settle at this point for a brewshare, one Sunday in Dec, as a Xmas party.....we could set another theme again, even if it is something like beers with wheat, which has a bit of a summer feel to it.
jazzyj
jazzyj

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzyj Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:19 am

As a FYI, another craft beer venue has opened in newcastle, The Hop Factory http://thehopfactory.com.au
We could hit some seriously great venues in a day at Newy

Albion, Dockyards, Silo, James Squires Brewhouse, Clarendon Hotel, Grain Store, The Hop Factory
and I have missed others like Craft and Co, that is a bit average.
jazzyj
jazzyj

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:51 am

Awesome! I'll have to check that out Josh - Just to make sure its ok and up to our standards - for science, you know?

How about the first or second week of the new year? People will have a bit more time hopefully.

4th or 5th of Jan Weekend?
Or
11th or 12th of Jan ?

Preferences?
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzyj Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:16 am

11th or 12th is good,
as I am away camping on the 4th or 5th