Central Coast Craft Brewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a Christmas Beer Recipe with Spruce tips

2 posters

Go down

Looking for a Christmas Beer Recipe with Spruce tips Empty Looking for a Christmas Beer Recipe with Spruce tips

Post  kt Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:31 am

Anyone got a good one?

I was thinking something with a little spruce, cinnamon maybe some cloves.  Quite high in alcohol, 6-8%.  Maybe to sip in July, but would preview it on xmas day too Wink

Cheers,
-kt
kt
kt

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Christmas Beer Recipe with Spruce tips Empty Re: Looking for a Christmas Beer Recipe with Spruce tips

Post  jazzyj Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:03 pm

That is a unique beer. Might be hard to find a good local recipe, so maybe searching the american recipe sites like beersmith.com might yield the best results
jazzyj
jazzyj

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Christmas Beer Recipe with Spruce tips Empty Re: Looking for a Christmas Beer Recipe with Spruce tips

Post  kt Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 am

Yeah.

I found out my supply of spruce tips was (probably) not spruce.
I should go buy a tree before xmas is upon us and they're wrapped in ribbon and doubled in price.

So I gave up and made "Christmoose Ale" off the AHB forums.
Made the extract version since I made it with a friend, and he doesn't do all-grain.

It smelled a bit like plumb pudding, but I tasted the warm wort and it was horrible. That's ok I guess, since most warm wort is not the best. I've just got to keep it cool now.
kt
kt

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzyj Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:28 am

Now that I am not on a mobile, I looked up a few spruce recipes. I am astonished how much spruce is being added. I am seeing up to 1/2 a kilo of tips in the boil. Either they don't add much flavour at all, or that is a massive misprint.

Anyway the Christmas Ale sounds good. Let us know how it goes.
jazzyj
jazzyj

Back to top Go down

Post  kt Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:14 am

The tasting notes on this beer - it's OK.

For my palette there's a little bit too much clove, and the orange is missing.

Halve the clove, double the orange.

Maybe I'll being some to the next meeting.
kt
kt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down